DoctorHOOper

Dr "HOO" & the Big Blue Box

Doctor Who's TARDIS and books...bigger on the inside and can take you any where in space and time. An open mind begins with an open book.

Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus
Teaching Tolerance Text Selection Tool 3
Teaching Tolerance Text Selection Tool 3
Teaching Tolerance Text Selection Tool 4
Teaching Tolerance Text Selection Tool 4
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West - Dee Brown

The pictures attached are the Teaching Tolerance Text Selection Tool which I utilized for analyzing cultural authenticity.

Citation

Brown, Dee. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West. New York: H. Holt, 1991. Print.

Synopsis

A true classic of American history,Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, meticulously documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, this book changed forever our vision of how the West was really won.

Author

Dorris Alexander “Dee” Brown (1908–2002) was a celebrated author of both fiction and nonfiction, whose classic study Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is widely credited with exposing the systematic destruction of American Indian tribes to a world audience. Brown was born in Louisiana and grew up in Arkansas. He worked as a reporter and a printer before enrolling at Arkansas State Teachers College, where he met his future wife, Sally Stroud. He later earned two degrees in library science, and worked as a librarian while beginning his career as a writer. He went on to research and write more than thirty books, often centered on frontier history or overlooked moments of the Civil War. Brown continued writing until his death in 2002.

Awards